Our divine recipy of the month.
See what is fresh and seasonal in our kitchen
Sweet and easy to digest this asparagus soup is healing, light and alkalizing.
Creamy asparagus soup
1 bunch (2 cups) green asparagus
1 large leek, chopped (3/4 cup)
1 cup organic new potatoes or almonds blanched
1 tsp cumin powder
2 zucchinis diced large
3 tablespoons ghee
5 to 6 cups veg stock
1/2 cup crème fraîche or soy creme
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or
Truffle salt and pepper to taste
Fennel fronds and nostrum flowers to garnish
1. Cut the asparagus tips 1 1/2 inches from the tops and halve tips again. Reserve for garnish.
2. Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Using a heavy pot cook leeks and potatoes in with 2 tablespoons ghee and cumin powder. Over moderately low heat, keep stirring, until softened. Add potatoes and zucchini, along with the asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, cook & stir for 5 minutes. Add 5 cups stock and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. While soup simmers, steam reserved asparagus tips until just tender, about 3 minutes.
5. Purée soup with a hand blender until smooth, (use caution when blending hot liquids). Stir in crème fraîche, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
6. Add lemon juice and garnish with fennel fronds & tips of asparagus.