Our divine recipy of the month.
See what is fresh and seasonal in our kitchen
West Indian Style Curry with balancing Ayurvedic Spices and herbs.
Saute Vegetables, Plantain and Spice Rice
2 Sweet Potatoes
2 Cups Brocoli
3 tbsp Ghee
3 tbsp water
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Cumin powder
1tsp Sea Salt
Kapha can use 1tsp Ginger
Vata can use .5 tsp Black pepper
Pitta can add 4 tbsp Coconut milk or use coconut oil instead of ghee
All can use Lemons
- Peel the carrots, and sweet potatoes then cut into rounds 3 mm thick.
- Wash and then trim off the broccoli florets into bite size pieces.
- Add into a pan (which has a tight fit lid) 1tsp ghee and simmer the spices for a minute. Add the root vegetables and coat in spices, reserving the broccoli for 5 mins. Add the broccoli and water and place the top on the pots.
- After 10 mins turn off the flame and keep the lid on to steam for 5 mins whilst you fry the plantains.
- Cut the top and button of the plantains and peel off the skin. Cut them on a diagonal into 5 mm slices. Heat the 2 tsp ghee in a frying pan and cook the plantains turning after they brown and caramelize.
1.5 cups Basmati Rice
1 tsp Ground Cardamon (or 3 pods slightly crushed)
pinch of Saffron or 1 tsp Turmeric
.5 tsp ground Cinnamon
1.5 tsp Sea Salt
3 cups Water
- Wash the rice until all the white starch is cleaned off and the water runs clear.
- Heat the ghee in the pan and add the cardamon for a second and add the rice and coat in oil then add other spices.
- Pour on hot water and add salt. Let the water boil then turn down the heat to a simmer and place on lid and steam for 10 mins, until water evaporates.
- Turn off the flame and leave the lid on to steam for extra 10 mins. Open the lid and fluff the rice up with a fork. Use a large spoon to add the rice to a dome shaped cup and press it in, turn the cup upside down on the plate to shape the rice (a bit like sand castles from a bucket).
- Serve with vegetables and plantains and some cilantro to dress.
Mango Tango Salsa
2 cups Tomatoes
1 cup Mango
1.5 cups Avocardo
4 tbsp Cilantro
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Black pepper
.5 tsp Himalayan Salt
Pulse in a food processor together the ingredients. Serve in a bowl.